Friday, 7 March 2014

Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Coconut Cookies

I know its a mouthful but I was never intending to make these and then I did and they turned out wonderfully so that was that. I couldn't not inform you at the first possible chance of what went into these cookies. Knowledge is vital to understanding and it is imperative you understand these cookies are good. Don't you just love it when a bake turns out just as you'd hoped or even that tiny bit better?

After umming and arring all week, I decided to go home last weekend from uni. For a number of reasons this was particularly fortuitous but the baking reason was that these got made whereas if I had stopped in Huddersfield I wouldn't have made biscuits at all. Mum wasn't feeling like baking much (or so she says, I think she was just being kind and letting me bake) but she hates having the biscuit and cake tins empty so it fell to me to fill them. For some reason these biscuits popped into my head - probably because I'd made them before and knew they were quick to mix and that they worked. Then I wondered if coconut instead of oats would work. Yes, yes it does.

They are the perfect sit down with a cup of tea biscuit. Crisp all the way through with a variety of textures from the sweet and creamy milk chocolate, crunchy virtuous nuts and the and mountain of coconut. They hold together nicely when dunked so you have plenty of time to get that craved for delicious mouthful of about-to-disintegrate-biscuit without the tears from it having broken off too soon and landed in your drink. That is one of the most disheartening feelings in the world I'm sure. What's more is that with just the right amount of tea soaked absorbed into the structure, these cookies take on an almost macaroon type chew. I told you they were the perfect tea biscuit - crisp or chewy, whichever way you like. Try them if you don't believe me. In fact, try them anyway!



print recipe

Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Coconut Cookies
A well textured, crisp cookie filled with chocolate chunks, coconut and hazelnuts.
Ingredients
  • 125g* softened butter
  • 75g soft dark brown sugar
  • 90g self raising flour
  • 100g dessicated coconut
  • 100g milk chocolate in chunks
  • 50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Instructions
1. Set tye oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a baking sheet with baking paper. 2. Cream the butter and sugar until well combined then mix in the flour and coconut followed by the hazelnuts and chocolate. You'll need to use your hands to get everything well mixed. 3. Roll the mixture into 29g balls and flatten on the baking sheet. Bake for around 20 mins until done to your liking - you'll need to bake in batches. I know that in the oven at home 15 mins, turn the tray and 5 mins gives the crisp throughout result I like for these but your oven might differ.4. Coll on the tray for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Or scoff straight away. No worries. 

P.S. Credit to Holly Bell for the original recipe.
It is my pleasure this month to be hosting Choclette's (Chocolate Log Blog) We Should Cocoa. I picked the theme of coconut which is maybe what made my try swapping the oats for dessicated stuff but I swear that wasn't my intention for my entry. Never mind, I'll have to try and fit another entry in somehow!

Also this month, I have chosen the theme of the Biscuit Barrel Challenge as spring. Spring makes me thing of change, something fresh and new and seeing as the inclusion of coconut in these cookies was something new, I think they fit. 

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea to replace oats with coconut. They sound perfect Laura. And you are so right, it's very disheartening when your dunked biscuit falls into your tea :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you've had that problem too? I'll admit to having used it as an excuse to having another biscuit on occasion =)

      Delete
  2. These sound yum. Coconut, chocolate, nuts............. fab combination. I bet these would be really simple to convert to gluten free. Your house-mate would love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, it wouldn't take much at all. Maybe another experiment to add to the growing list I think!

      Delete
  3. These sound right up my street! I love dessicated coconut in cookies - gives such a wonderful texture :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! I was pretty pleased with the texture myself =)

      Delete
  4. Ooh I like the sound of these. I love biscuits which have coconut or oats in them as it gives them such a great dunking texture. A biscuit's dunking ability is definitely important!

    By the way we're mug twins! Except mine has got a slight crack on the inside where the handle joins so whenever it's full of tea it makes a funny buzzy noise (which means it's probably unhygienic and I should throw it out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally wit you on that one =)

      It's so hard to throw away a mug you love isn't it? This one is one of my favourites - you can't really see it but there is a chip it he edge but I like it too much to get rid of it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!