Sunday, 9 February 2014

Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Traybake

My housemate Lauren adores lemony things and especially lemon drizzle cake. I know I've already got a post on here about lemon drizzle cake (which I'm not going to link too because it is an early post which I'm very embarrassed about but can't bare to get rid of) but this one is so good I had to put it on here. Sometimes things just work and that's it. As is the case here, usually the stuff you aren't planning on taking into university to share with people but still. This is damn good.
This is the last part of Lauren's Christmas present where I said I would make her a batch of biscuits, a batch of scones and a traybake of her choice. I've already reported on the Gluten Free Shortbread and the Spiced Sultana Scones but this is the thing I'm most pleased with. And when word comes back to me that Lauren's Mum described it as the best lemon drizzle she has ever tasted...well. I'm pretty sure I blushed.
Credit must go to Aimee from Wallflower Girl for this recipe which I of course played around with because I'm far too meddlesome for my own good. Moist beyond belief from the almonds and the juice syrup I poured on then topped with the zingiest glace icing possible, this cake has lemon flavour exploding out of every delicious bite.  That golden hue flecked with spots of yellow zest tempers the tanginess to give something which should satisfy everyone, gluten intolerant or not. Dig in. 


print recipe

Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Traybake
A gluten and dairy free traybake that couldn't have any more lemon flavour if it tried. A moist crumb, studded with lemon zest, doused with lemon syrup and coated in zingy glace icing.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 120ml olive oil
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 150g ground almonds
  • 75g polenta
  • 1 rounded tsp gluten free baking powder
  • 1tsp xanthan gum
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice
 For the drizzle and icing:
  • Icing sugar

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and lline an 8" square cake tin.2. Whisk the oil and caster sugar together until pale ad foamy. Sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.3. Mix the dry ingredients into the oil/eggs in batches, alternating with the eggs. Add a splash of milk if the mixture is too thick then fold in the zest.4. Pour into the tin, level off and bake in the preheated oven for around 35 mins until a cake tester comes out of the centre clean. 5. As soon as the cake come out of the oven, mix about 30g icing sugar with half the lemon juice, heat to dissolve, use a cake tester to poke holes in the top of the cake and brush on the syrup. Leave to cool. 6. When completely cool, mix the remaining lemon juice with enough icing sugar to get your desired consistency of icing then spread over the top of the cake, leave to set then slice and serve.


Whether it is an obvious choice or not, I don't care because I'm still gutted I missed the last Alphabakes challenge so I'm sharing this cake this month where the letter is 'Z' because it is full of zest. Caroline from Caroline Makes is this months host, alternating with Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker.

I'm also sharing this cake with a new challenge this month, run by Ness from JibberJabberUK. The first theme of Love Cake is Baking with Passion. Well, I certainly love cake as everyone who knows me can testify to and I'm really passionate about this one because it turned out so well. My housemate is pretty passionate about it too!

4 comments:

  1. I love presents that I can eat or drink and even more so if they are homemade. It must be extra special for your housemate since she needs gluten-free treats. Thanks for linking up with this month's 'Baking with passion' theme for love cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure and I'm finding baking gluten free really interesting =)

      Delete
  2. That's quite an accolade from your housemate's mum! How are you finding gluten free cakes compare to 'regular' ones? I've been doing a lot of vegan baking for a friend lately and I've found one vegan chocolate cake recipe that is probably better than any non-vegan chocolate cake I've ever made! This looks really lovely, thanks for sending it to Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying baking with gluten free flours, it adds more variety to what I bake I think. I've got the most experience with gluten free cakes and I really don't think I've been able to tell a difference so far. I ought to try more biscuits to see if the same happens. Your vegan chocolate cake recipe sounds very interesting. One for the blog maybe?

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!