Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Dark Chocolate Muffins

If a muffin can have a split personality this would be the one. 

Probably not the most flattering opening line to a post but I needed to express the contrast between the dark and brooding yet soft interior that hides chunks of white and milk creamy sweetness within. I knew it was a risk trying this recipe but it was worth it.

Muffins are something I've had problems with in the past. I've either had a mixture which was too thin or have overmixed the wet and dry ingredients so the texture has been all wrong. These however I was pretty happy with. The recipe (from Roger Pizey's World's Best Cakes - brilliant book!) uses 200g of 70% chocolate for 12  muffins (though I only did a half batch) which sounded a lot to me but I promise you, after the first bite you will not be able to resist taking another and another until pretty soon you don't have enough left to get a decent picture of the insides of the muffin. Just me was that?

I know these won't be everyone's ideal muffin but I really think you should try them. They have a wonderful texture and there is no mistaking the deep, chocolatey flavour. I wondered if the mixture could take a few lot more chocolate chunks but I do like to push chocolate things to the limits. And why not? It is one of the best foods on this planet after all. That's a recipe idea all in itself - Overloaded Chocolate Chip Muffins. Hmmmmmm....



print recipe

Dark Chocolate Muffins
A darkly chocolatey muffin tempered with the sweetness of large chunks of milk and white chocolate.
Ingredients
  • 250g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 75g caster sugar
  • 175g chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 75g butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 175g semi-skimmed milk
  • 100g 70% chocolate, melted

Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a muffin tray with 6 to 9 muffin cases depending on their size.2. Mix the flour, baking powder and caster sugar in one bowl, then the butter, egg, milk and melted chocolate in another before mixing the two together about half way. Stir in the chopped chocolate until just a few bits of flour remain.3. Divide between the cases and bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins before turing the temperature down to 180 C/160 C fan and baking for another 13 mins ish until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.4. Remove from the oven and cool until safe to remove from the tin then cool until you can't resist eating one any more. 
Adapted from World's Best Cakes by Roger Pizey

I can't help but share these with a few baking challenge this month. I set the theme to my own Biscuit Barrel challenge as 'chocolate' this month and there is plenty in this recipe to qualify. The same can be said of Tea Time Treats, where Karen at Lavender and Lovage is hosting this month, alternating with Jane at The Hedgecombers.




Choclette at The Chocolate Log Blog, hosting We Should Cocoa and Dom from Belleau Kitchen hosting Random Recipes have joined forces this month so both challenges have the theme of random chocolate recipes. How I chose my recipe for this was to pick the book from my stack that caught by eye, turn to the index and scan the chocolate section until a recipe jumped out at me. If I'm really honest the first one that got my attention was a very large concoction that I couldn't legitamise making so I was thankful the second was viable! 

Finally I think I can just about get away with entering these into Calendar Cakes, currently hosted by Rachel at Dollybakes but jointly with Laura of Laura Loves Cakes. The theme is 'Oh L'amour' and anyone who has a love of chocolate will really love these muffins.



14 comments:

  1. how large would it have had to have been to not make it?... I wanna know!... I too have had mixed results with muffins but these look pretty failsafe and rather wonderful, thank so much for taking part and letting your eye be your random recipes selector!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful blak forest cake, complete with marbled chocolate collar. I would've jumped at the chance to make it as a dinner party centrepiece but not really suitable for just me alas!

      Delete
  2. A chocolate muffin, cake or biscuit can never be too chocolatey in my book! These look absolutely delicious............ and the idea of 'overloaded chocolate chip muffins'? I say go for it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, your encouragement has made me want to give them a go all the more =)

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for a yummy chocolate muffin recipe to try out and this looks perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the sound of it. Let me know what you think if you do try it out =)

      Delete
  4. I love love love chocolate muffins. Such a treat! These sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit iffy with muffins in that the only chocolate ones I've had good results with are actually more of a cake than a muffin mixture. I will give these a try though and maybe my luck will change. Thanks for joining in with We Should Cocoa :)

    Are you all set for tomorrow BTW? Just send me a tweet or e-mail if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you do give them a go! There is another muffin recipe coming soon because I can't help but meddle.

      And I'm good to go for WSC now I think thank you =)

      Delete
  6. I really LOVE the look of these Laura and I love your "split personality" start to the post too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so glad you do. I wondered if I was being a bit weird!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I like the big chunks of chocolate on show! I love a choccy muffin still warm from the oven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!