Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Spiced Sultana Scones (Gluten Free)

How long does it take me to write a blog post? Ages normally but for this one I have to be quick. Have to be. It's late, I didn't get to write this at the weekend and I've already missed out on one of my favourite blogging challenges this month due to lack of time which I'm absolutely gutted about. Frustration overload I say. The next time you feel frustrated in any way I suggest you make these scones and sit down with a cup of tea like my housemate and I did. 

For Lauren's Christmas present I promised her one batch each of biscuits, scones and a traybake. She hasn't had a scone since being diagnosed as a coeliac over two years ago but loves them so was so happy when these came out of the oven and I finally shouted 'scone time'. I wasn't sure how the scone dough would hold up being gluten free but it behaved perfectly. If you have trouble bringing scone dough together and keeping handling to a minimum I'd suggest making a gluten free version because you can handle and kneed it a little more seeing as there is no gluten to develop and toughen the end result. I kid you not when I say that Lauren said they smelled of heaven. That embarrasses me somewhat but in a lovely way.

Studded with sultanas and laced with mixed spice, I could not tell that they were gluten free at all. They weren't crumbly or dry and they rose beautifully. I used cream instead of milk as a little indulgence and it was the perfect chance to use some up that had been sitting in the fridge for a while after making caramel. Neither were they cakey. Nope, they were a true scone and I'm going to leave it at that.



print recipe

Spiced Sultana Scones (Gluten Free)
A gluten free scone with the additions of mixed spice and plump sultanas. Soak the fruit in tea or juice for extra flavour if you like.
Ingredients
  • 250g gluten free flour
  • 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
  • 2tsp xanthan gum
  • 50g butter, diced
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 8-10 tbsp double cream
  • 50g sultanas
  • 2 generous tsp mixed spice
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 220 C/200 C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper.2. Sift the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and spice into a bowl and rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.3. Make a well in the centre and drop in the egg. Mix together with enough cream to give a soft but not sticky dough. Kneed a few times to bring it together properly then roll out on a floured surface to around 1" thick and use a cutter (about 2" diameter) to cut out the scones. Bring the scraps together and repeat until you have around 8 scones on your baking sheet.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 mins until nicely browned. Cool on a wire rack or enjoy warm..


The first challenge I'm sharing these with is Calendar Cakes, this month hosted by Rachel from Dollybakes but shared with Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme is 'if it makes you happy' and these definitely made my housemate happy and me too when I saw the look on her face at the first bite.
I'm ever so grateful for Janie at the Hedge Combers for setting the theme of Tea Time Treats as 'eggs'. There is only one egg in these but t still counts! Karen is the other half of Tea Time Treats over at Lavender and Lovage.




Lastly, seeing as I used up some cream which I had no idea what to do with otherwise as it had been in the fridge for ages, I'm sharing these with Elizabeth's No Waste Food Challenge. It was a relief to find something to use the cream in because I hate throwing stuff out.

4 comments:

  1. No wonder your friend was pleased to have these; what a nice present! You've given me a cream tea craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry! We wanted clotted cream on ours but didn't have any. If we had thought quicker though we probably would have run out to the shops fir some haha

      Delete
  2. Mmm mmm! Sounds lovely! I've only recently discovered how nice a gluten free scone can taste and I bet with the mixed spice and sultanas these were amazing! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! I'm eager to make them again soon which my housemate will like I'm sure =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!