Thursday, 19 December 2013

Chocolate Whisky Bundt Cake

What with one thing and another, this post has been sat in limbo for over a week now despite me being mightily pleased with it. I was going to start it off with a rant and say how making the cake made me relax but the rant is best left aside now. Instead, I'm going to jump right in there and say this cake was pretty damn good. You know one of those where you fancy playing about with an idea not knowing whether it will work or not then you taste it and eat the rest of the piece with a massive grin on your face because it worked? Well, this was one of those cakes.
After the success of these Chocolate Whisky Cakes with Ganache Topping I wanted to try using the recipe again but in a big cake. It took me ages to bake with whisky again, the first real chance I got being when I made these Whisky and Chocolate Raisin Blondies. They were good, no doubt about it but I wanted to improve on them. The next batch were terrible which put me off blondies slightly so when I saw the theme for this months We Should Cocoa, hosted by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog, was alcohol I knew I had to get whisky in there but I certainly wasn't going to risk another blondie failure. Nope, I was going to use it as an excuse to make a big cake, which I don't often get to do and what's more, I was going to Christen my ring mould which I bought instead of an angel food cake tin. It isn't really a bundt tin but that is what I'm calling the cake. So there. 

Moist, soft, springy sponge drizzled with whisky fresh from the oven. Rich, chocolate fudge icing kicking with whisky slathered on top and finished with sprinkles. I am being taught the virtues of sprinkles.  

Before I leave you with the recipe which I urge you to try, I've just got to share the We Should Cocoa challenge with you properly. The theme of the month is alcohol and there are plenty of other gorgeous recipes on Choclette's Chocolate Log Blog so go have a nosey round. You won't be disappointed. 


(P.S. If you have been baking any biscuits or cookies that are quick and easy to tide you over until the festive period thenyou might like to enter my own baking challenge - the Biscuit Barrel. Rules aren't strict - anything that fits into a biscuit container is eligible!)


print recipe

Chocolate Whisky Bundt Cake
A soft, moist all-in-one chocolate cake soaked in whisky and topped with the best chocolate fudge whisky icing around. This makes a big cake so if you only have a small bundt tin, don't overfill it and make cupcakes instead.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 10oz caster sugar
  • 6oz soft tub margarine
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6oz natural yoghurt
  • 8oz self raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2oz cocoa
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 6 tbsp whisky`
For the fudge icing:
  • 2 fl.oz milk
  • 2oz granulated sugar
  • 3oz dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1oz softened butter
  • 2 or 3 tbsp whisky
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Grease your bundt tin well and dust with cocoa powder.2. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer until just well combined. Don't keep mixing past this.3. Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and level off. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1hr 15 mins, checking afte 1 hr to see if a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If it needs longer, lower the temperature and continue as required. 4. When ready, set on a wire rack and carefully trim away any domed cake as necessary to leave a level surface. Use a skewer to poke holes (carefully) in it and brush over a few tbsp whisky as desired. Leave to cool fully in the tin.5. Once cooled, turn out onto a plate or wire rack and make the icing. 6. In a pan over a low heat, dissolve the sugar in the milk then simmer for a few mins. emove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate, followed by the butter then the whisky. Continue beating for a few mins then leave to thicken. Spread onto the cake and decorate as you wish.

10 comments:

  1. That looks ridiculously good. I could always do with a bit of a relaxing cake and sprinkles are essential at this time of year. I'm now really curious about what the rant would have sounded like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was very good cake to relax with but the rant maybe not so much. I had memory stick trouble and had lost all my uni work as a result. I had to redo two pieces that I had really struggled with the first time round and it was people's responses to that which was winding me up when I was already pretty down. This cake helped to fix that though!

      Delete
  2. This sounds decadent and delicious - perfect for the festive season and it looks gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this sounds fabulous Laura - I am definitely bookmarking this one. Thanks for entering it into WSC. Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and if you do give it a go/adapt it, let me know the results! Ad absolutely right back at you =)

      Delete
  4. First thought when I saw this was 'yum'! I have some whisky kicking about, and one of your recipes looks to be its destination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering your monthly challenge that means a lot =) this might just be my favourite whisky bake I've made myself yet.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!