Saturday, 23 November 2013

Whisky and Chocolate Raisin Blondies

It is a well known fact amongst my friends that I don't drink because I don't like the taste of alcohol unless it is in food. Specifically baking then it's every foodie for themselves and I pour in as much as possible. Whisky or champagne truffles are possibly my favourite sweet things to have alcohol in but then again I've done some nice whisky cakes in the past, including these Chocolate Whisky Cakes with Ganache Topping (don't laugh, I wrote that post in the early days of this blog!) I haven't had chance to bake with whisky in so long but I've had an idea in my head for these for even longer and now is there time to shine.

They were originally supposed to be brownies using the sample bottle of the new chocolate Baileys that I have but I decided I wanted the whisky to be the star of the show and not the chocolate for once so off I toddled to buy a bottle and attempt to not look like an alcoholic while walking round the supermarket with it.

To aid with keeping the whisky in the spotlight I changed my mind to blondies and threw some chocolate raisins in there instead. It's the first time I've had success with blondies but even though I'm really pleased with the flavour of these I know I have to make them again with my own method. That's just the way I bake I'm afraid!
So blondies. Oh so moist and squidgy carrying a punch of whisky and caramel highlights from the brown sugar with another level of chew and flavour from the chocolate raisins. They are good and I can't wait to make them again.

I'm ever so grateful to Janine from Cake of the Week for setting this months theme for Baking with Spirit as whisky because otherwise these blondies might have had to wait many more months to be made. I've been dying to enter this blogging challenge for months now so it gives me great pleasure to finally be able to enter something. Go have a look at Janine's blog - there are some fantastic recipes on there.


print recipe

Whisky and Chocolate Raisin Blondies
Golden chewy cake surrounding nuggets of chocolate and raisins entirely infused with whisky and hints of caramel.
Ingredients
  • 114g butter
  • 175g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 125g plain flour
  • 100g chocolate raisins
  • 5 tbsp whisky
  • 1 heaped tsp demerara sugar, for sprinkling
Instructions
1. Grease and line a 8" square cake tin and set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Melt the butter in the microwave then whisk in the sugar until it is well blended and there are no lumps.2. Mix in the egg followed by the vanilla then flour then raisins. Stir in the whisky a bit at a time until evenly mixed in.3. Pour into the tin and level off. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 mins until there is just a slight wobble in the centre. 4. Sprinkle on the demerara sugar then leave to cool on a wire rack before turning out and slicing.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh these sound so good! I love blondies almost as much as I love brownies, and I bet the raisins and whisky really make them shine. I've bought whisky especially for this challenge, so these might be the answer for what to do with (some of) the rest of it!

    Thanks so much for entering BWS, and for the lovely things you said about my blog! I hope you're able to enter many more challenges in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! I can't wait to have a play around with some more whisky flavoured cakes and I do hope to enter more challenges in the future =)

      Delete
  2. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone every day.

    Start following our signals today and profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!