Wednesday, 27 November 2013

The Vanilla Diaries Week 0

Alright, so I'm posting this slightly late considering that I actually started it last week but never mind. Homemade vanilla extract is something I've wanted to have a go at for a few months now and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure why I put it off. Then when I finally made the decision to give it a go I keep forgetting to order the pods. It took me spotting some vodka on offer in Sainsburys to force me to get on with it and even then it took me another week to order the pods but finally on Thursday of last week when I was so tired there was no chance of me getting on with work after I'd got back from uni, I got it going. It serves me right for not getting it started sooner because I had wanted to have it ready to use in the Christmas baking but now I will be pushing it. Like I said,  don't know why I didn't get on with it sooner. It's so easy.

Here is the worlds worst picture so you can see for yourself.

There's not much point in me giving you a proper recipe for this, just some general instructions.  I read a fair few blogs that had had a go at this and although they followed the same general trend, there were some little difference so in the end I decided not to follow any particular one and just went for it. What's the worse that could happen right?

  • Get yourself a bottle with a good seal. I like the look of Kilner jars so I went for a 250 ml one. Wash it with soapy water, rinse and pour boiling water into it then pour out again once it is cool enough to handle. Also pour boiling water over the knife you will be using to slice the pods. This won't properly sterilise your equipment but it is a good start.
  • For the 250 ml bottle you'll need about 10 vanilla pods. I used these extract grade ones which I bought from here. Slice each one down the centre, scrape out the seeds and add to the bottle. Then slice each pod into 4 pieces and add to the bottle.
  • Fill the bottle with vodka. An expensive one isn't important but don't go for a really cheap one either. I'm no spirits expert but this is th egeneral consensus. 
  • Seal the bottle and give it a good shake. Shake everyday for a week, then every few days for another five weeks. After six weeks your vanilla extract will be good to go.
That's it. No rocket science involved. There's nothing more to say for now but I'll keep you informed of progress. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!