Sunday, 3 November 2013

Ginger Bonfire Toffee Cake

Am I the only food blogger out there who looks forward to the start of each month to see what the new themes of the blogging challenges will be? Excitement starts to build when the round-ups begin to appear then by the 1st I'm going round the host blogs looking to see if the announcement post is up yet. I'm even so enthusiast I'll admit to making a list of the themes so I can keep them in mind when I'm dreaming up what to make next. I don't mind if that's sad. This month has a lot of awfully brilliant themes and fingers crossed I can enter them all. I didn't manage it last month but I'm super excited for this month. Almost as much as I was super excited to make and then eat this cake.

This cake has been in my mind since I made these Ginger Bonfire Toffee Crinkles which made me think of bonfire toffee from the first taste. I just knew I had to recreate the flavours in cake form. I wasn't sure which recipe to base it on and evenutally went for a parkin recipe which is from a book which still uses ounces (and hence why my mum likes that particular book so much) and I would feel disloyal to it if I changed it to grams for the sake of this blog so ounces it is. I'm pretty sure I've warned you in the passed that this would happen at some point!

I couldn't have got this cake more perfect if I had tried. The original parkin recipe is so good I am going to try and share it with you this month or next but I would like to think the success of the cake is at least in part down to me and getting things just right. It is very gingery, and very, very treacly with the most gorgeous sticky top and moist, squidy crumb. It isn't a cake that needs icing. Icing would ruin it. It is a cake which needs to be left naked and worshipped in all it's sweet, dark glory. Modesty has no place here. 
I left the cake cooling while I went for a wander round town (I almost bought a new cake tin from TK Maxx) and I found myself in a sweet shop. Sadly they didn't have the bonfire lollies I waxed lyrical about in the Crinkles post but I still couldn't resist buying one of the newer version to smash up to go on top of the cake for the pictures. It turn out laying the lolly on one chopping board and hitting it with another isn't very effective. All that happens is one chunk breaks off and shatters into tiny pieces which fly everywhere and you are finding stuck to everything for the rest of the eveing and next morning. A finely serrated knife works better.

If you are wondering why I didn't cut the cake into 10 or 12 pieces it's because the smaller ones are to go with custard while the bigger ones are for on their own. I made this using gluten free flour so my housemate Lauren could have some. Earlier in the day I had suggested we watch Stictly Come Dancing together with this and custard (I did say this cake should be unclothed, but custard doesn't count. Custard, well, it is just good. I'm slightly in love with Ambrosia) but just after 9pm we gave up on Strictly coming on iplayer and we just had cake, custard and tea instead. No regrets from either one of us.

With that in mind, I'm sharing this with one of the aforementioned baking challenges. This months Calendar Cakes has the theme of Puddings. To me, any cake that will go with custard, cream, ice cream or a sauce of some kind is suitable to be called a pudding and hopefully the brains behind the challenge, Rachel from Dollybakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes (the host for this month) will agree it is eligible.

If you like baking challenges yourself, I'd be so glad if you could join in my own challenge, the Biscuit Barrel which you can have a peep at here.

Enjoy!



print recipe

Ginger Bonfire Toffee Cake
A moist, sticky cake packed full of ginger and black treacle with the flavour to match bonfire toffee. The long list of ingredients hides how easy the cake is to make.
Ingredients
  • 10oz plain flour or gluten free flour (add 1 rounded tsp xanthan gum for GF)
  • 5oz soft dark brown sugar
  • 2 generous tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp mixed spice
  • 0.25 tsp nutmeg
  • 120g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 balls stem ginger, grated
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 5oz soft margarine
  • 7oz black treacle
  • 1 tbsp ginger syrup from the jar
  • 1 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 dsp vingegar
  • 0.25 pint milk
Instructions
1. Grease and line a large traybake tin. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan.2. Sift together the flour, xanthan gum if using, sugar and spices into a large bowl. Over a low heat, melt together the marg, treacle and ginger syrup. Meanwhile distribute the crystallised ginger through the flour.3. Add the fresh and stem ginger to the melted mix and stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk a splash at a time. 4. Working very quickly now, sprinkle over the bicarb and then the vinegar. As quickly but thoroughly as you can, mix everything together to evenly distribute, pour into the prepared tin, level and bake.5. My cake took 40 mins then 10 mins in the oven with it turned off. The time will depend on your oven and size of tin. I'd say check after 30 mins but be very careful with it as this is a cake prone to sinking. A flatter traybake or roasting tin helps. It is worth it, I promise.

12 comments:

  1. I love the beginning of the month too with all its new challenges. :) Sometimes I create things for the challenge, other times I make things and see what challenges I can fir them into. It all depends on how inspired I feel. Your cake looks divine and I could seriously go a big slice of that just now! Alas, I'm on a mission to lose a few more post-injury weight gain pounds so I must behave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I'm sorry for tempting you then and I wish you a speedy recovery so you can indulge a bit more often =D

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you know how much I love blog challaenges :) I look forward to the end of the months to read all the round ups and the 1st of the month so I can make a list and plan my bakes for the whole month. I often try and create recipes that will fit one or more challenges. Your ginger toffee cake looks perfect for bonfire night. I'll try and make an entry for your biscuit barrel challenge this month - I'm making lots of birthday cakes but they don't fit your challenge. Do cake pops count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it can get really interesting to combine different challenges. I'm glad you like the cake too =) I reckon cake pops count - we've had jaffa cakes so I don't see why we can#t have cake pops too. I'll look forward to your entry if you have the time to make something!

      Delete
  3. How good does this look...my mouth is actually watering!! With custard too, perfect for a chilly November night. Thanks for entering this into Calendar Cakes, I might have to give this one a go! I also love the start of the month to see what the blogging challenges hold, although I haven't had quite as much time as I'd like to enter in recent months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it and if you do give it a go, be sure to let me know how it turns out. I was wondering if it would be nice with apples in it to add another autumnal flavour.

      Delete
  4. These kind of courses are very important to the society that we live in if these kind of courses were start before the situation was much batter

    Google advertisement

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up

    Cloud web hosting Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I've been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you've structured your site. I am attempting to run my own blog but I think its too general and I want to focus more on smaller topics. Being all things to all people is not all that its cracked up to be.


    Papa, i want to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely words. As for your own blog, I'd say go with where your heart lies because if you don't enjoy writing it then it will come across. Go with smaller topics if that is what you really want =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!