Friday, 15 November 2013

Chocolate Orange Pumpkin Muffins

By writing this blog post I feel like I've gone through some sort of bakers right of passage. I've finally cooked with pumpkin. When I first got addicted to Pinterest it didn't take me long to realise that pumpkins were a very popular ingredient in baking but I still wasn't convinced. It just didn't seem... right to me. Carrot cake yes, courgettes fine. Even parsnip. I've had very good results with parsnips in cake. But pumpkin? Questionable. I knew so many people couldn't be wrong but after making butternut squash soup and finding it quite simply nasty, the thought of making something with such a similar vegetable (ok, botanically a fruit) didn't get me overly excited. However, that has all changed. Enter...


Pillowy soft and deliciously moist. Studded with Terry's chocolate orange and boosted with zest. And the topping. Oh the topping. Nothing less than Nutella. Why bother diluting it? Even though I wasn't convinced initially I still couldn't wait to dig in. Don't worry, my Nutella quality control was very thorough. 

If you are a purist and believe that muffins should not have an icing of any sort then by all means go with your heart but just so you know, this is a good look too...

Uni work is getting a bit mad now, especially with how distracted I get in the evenings so I'm trying to cut down my blog ramblings. There is no way in hell thoough that I'm giving this blog up because I love it  too much. It would be like me trying to give up strawberries or chocolate. So with that in mind I'm going to leave you with a recipe credit and the challenegs I'm sharing these with.  Sally of Sally's Baking Addiction came up with the recipe and of course I meddled a little with it but hers is still one of my favourite blogs that I discovered thought Pinterest. Go have a nosey round. I  must make some of her cookies soon. 

The orange in this recipe from the zest and the Terrys chocolate means I can enter them into the AlphaBakes challenge, this month hosted by Caroline of Caroline Makes but a joint venture with Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker. The letter of the month is O.

Also, I'm sharing these with the Treat Petite challeneg which is between Stuart from Cakeyboi and Kat from The Baking Explorer. The theme this month is America and pumpkin is a very typical American ingredient I believe. (Though having said that, I think I have seen it growning in popularity here in the UK.) Kat is our Treat Petite host this month.

I'd also like to thank Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for giving me the courage to finally have a go at baking with pumpkin. Her pumpkin loaf post describes such a simple way to make your own pumpkin puree I was spurred into action.


print recipe

Chocolate Orange Pumpkin Muffins
A moist and super soft pumpkin muffin studded with orange zest and chocolate, toppped with Nutella glory.
Ingredients
  • 110g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 generous tsp mixed spice
  • 50g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 114g pumpkin puree
  • 60ml vegetable or sunflower oil
  • 40ml milk
  • 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
  • 45g Terrys chocolate orange, chopped
  • Zest of one orange, finely grated
  • Nutella (optional)
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Line a muffin tray with 6 muffin or cupcake cases.2. Sift together the first 4 ingredients the rest except the chocolate together in a jug or small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry then mix together until almost combined then stir in the chocolate.3. Divide the mixture between the 6 cases, level and bake for 18-20 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. 4. Leave to firm up for a few mins then remove from the tin and cool fully on a wire rack before decorating as desired.

4 comments:

  1. These look great - I love chocolate and orange together and I bet the addition of pumpkin made it extra moist. Thanks for sending these to Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and so glad you like them! The pumpkin really did make them moist

      Delete
  2. These look and sound amazing. Nutella - big yes from me!! I've only recently started baking with pumpkin and it's amazing - wonder why I didn't start earlier. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm looking forward to experimenting with the frozen portions I have leftover =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!