Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Gluten Free Frying Pan Chocolate Chip Cookie and a Review

Recipes are created for all sorts of reasons and one of those might be that a baker wants an excuse to use a partiulcar piece of equipment. This cookie came about for just that reason after the lovely people at Moderna Housewares sent me a 20cm Green Frying Pan by Ozeri to review. 

I'm afraid I can't give you a good picture of the frying pan in it's packaging because I was so eager to have a nosey at it that I had it open far too quickly for my own good. Thanks yet again to Pinterest I've been looking forward to making a frying pan cookie, or skillet cookie as they are known on the blogs I had looked at, for some time. As soon as I knew it was the frying pan I would be receiving these massive cookies were back on my baking radar because I thought it would be an ideal way to test out the super-non stick coting used on the pans. It aced the test because five minutes out of the oven and all the cookie needed was a little wiggle of the pan and I could feel it was loose but whole. Look:

The pan barely neeeded a wipe to clean it too. I know non-stick coatings get a lot of bad press now because of increased awareness that they easily come loose and enter the food leading to all manner of possible of negative health side effects but I felt completely comfortable using this pan because it is PTFE and PFOA free - the two nasties used in other non-stick coatings. It uses a very safe ceramic coating instead which also helps with heat distribution and retention for better cooking. I was migtily pleased with how this monster cookie turned out so it must work!
I also did the obligatory fried egg test and I am pleased to say it didn't stick even without the addition of oil. I love fried dippy eggs but don't have them often because of the fat content so this is a great pan for anyone of a similar opinion who is watching their weight. Poached eggs are good too but sometimes fried is necessary!
The other thing I tested in this pan was a pizza based on my Lazy Person Pizza recipe. I was so pleased with how it turned out I wrote about it on my university student union blog which you can have a peep at too here

So the cookie. It is big, very big. Fresh from the oven and served warm with a cup of tea it has a soft, melting almost cakey texture with large pools of molten chocolate that burst and flood your tongue with the sensations that epitomise a good great chocolate chip cookie. I made this gluten free so that my housemate could try it and I had barely got out the question if she wanted some when I received a 'hell yeah!' and a quick run down the stairs. And yet I still mae her wait while I attempted to take photos!

On the second and following days the taste didn't diminish in the slightest. It developed to perfect cookieness if anything. The texture was no longer remotely cakey but neither was it dry. A good old melting crumble was the reward for each bit. It was a struggle to eat just one piece a day believe me.

A little more about the frying pan now.
What I particularly liked:
  • The colour - I see no reason why pots and pans should be a dull grey. Bright colours are much more cheerful and I do like green. Red would have been even better but then I am biased because it is my favourite colour.
  • The non-stick coating - as already noted the refreshingly safe non-stick coating really does work. Less fat, easy to clean and far better for your health and environment.
  • It's oven safe - a lot of frying pans aren't oven safe but this one is to 180 C. There is a leaflet included in the box to tell you all you need to know and although most people throw this sort of thing away, I found it interesting. I'm a self-confessed nerd. 
What I thought could be better: 
  • I would like to see more colours offered in the range. Like red for instance (just daying.) If I asked my mum she'd probably say country cream.
  • This may be a little fussy but I would have like the inside to be white so I could see the colour of things better if necessary. Like if I was browning butter it would be easier to see the colour change against a white background. This is only a minor point though and it wouldn't stop me from buying the other pan sizes.
Don't just take my word for it - nip over to Elizabeth's blog to see what she thought of the same pan.


Now I owe you a recipe.

As always, all opinions are my own. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Recipe adapted from Urban Baker

2 comments:

  1. This looks like my kind of cookie! Never thought of cooking it in a frying pan either - can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how it turns out if you try it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!