Sunday, 1 September 2013

The Biscuit Barrel Challenge is Open!

Hello and welcome to the very first Biscuit Barrel Challenge! If you are wondering what scheme I have cooked up now then I will enlighten you. I love baking. Absolutely adore it. I started this blog to record my baking adventures, some brilliant and so not so but all with honesty. Recently I realised that this blog has also become a record for me learning more about the baking blogosphere, from how many other fantastic blogs there are out there to the nuts and bolts of creating your own webspace. Although an understanding of web code and the ability to write a short, succint blog post still elude me I am very slowly getting there with all this.


One thing I have learned though is that baking challenges set by bloggers are really fun and a great way to explore new ideas and find recipes from other brilliant bakers. You really are a very talented bunch you know! I've spent the summer trying to develop I'd Much Rather Bake Than... but now I'm returning to university to begin my placement as part of the third year of my MChem Chemistry degree. I desperately don't want my blog to fall by the wayside so I thought that if I set up my own challenge then it would encourage me to write at least one blog post each month! It would be so wonderful if you all joined in and encouraged others to do so. I would be eternally grateful because I do enjoy reading what fellow bakers have been getting up to and the story behind recipes. Follow the links below in the list of challenges I have entered so far and others I hope to do so soon and see how good they can be:


My own challenge is called The Biscuit Barrel. Even though my greatest love affair is with cake, I wanted to focus on biscuits for this because there is always, always a container of some sort holding biscuits in our house. It's the first place my brother Christopher goes when he visits, most often trying to find the one chocolate biscuit that is mysteriously ever present. Plus, as I've started a journey to find my personal favourite chocolate chip cookie then if I try a really good recipe and it fits in with the theme then I can share it on here.

So, before I witter on for much longer let me introduce the theme for this month. Drumroll please............

CHOCOLATE

How could I not start you off with such a classic? It would be a crime not to and will open up all manner of potential recipes suitable for a biscuit barrel/tin/jar. And if I end up being the only one to enter then never mind, at least I've had an excuse to buy more of one of my favourite foods but I really hope you do join in. Just add you link to the linky tool below or email me (see rules for details) and at the end of the month I'll do a round up of the entries so you can see them in all their glory.

Happy biscuiting!

Now the boring bit....

The Biscuit Barrel Challenge rules.


  1. Blog about your biscuit or cookie recipe (or anything suitable for a biscuit barrel!) that fits in with the theme of the month, linking back to I'd Much Rather Bake Than... Include the logo in your post and add 'The Biscuit Barrel' as a label.
  2. Add the link to your post to the linky tool at the bottom of this post by September 26th. Don't worry, it's really easy.
  3. The recipe can be your own or someone else, just give credit where it is due such as a link to their post or a mention of the book. You can also add old posts as long as they have been updated to include the logo/link/label.
  4. You can submit as many recipes as you like. After all, I'm sure your chosen biscuit container will need filling up more than once a month! You can also enter your recipe into as many other challenges as you wish as long as it complies with the rules of that challenge.
  5. Don't be concerned about joining in every month. When you have time or when you feel like it is fine.
  6. If you are on Twitter tweet your link to be @MustBakeCakes and use #biscuitbarrel and I'll try to retweet those I see. I'll also pin entries onto the Biscuit Barrel board on Pinterest.
  7. Any questions feel free to ask in a comment or email at smile101@fsmail.net or laurajdenman@gmail.com
  8. Most important of all, have fun!
I can't wait to see what you've got up to!

4 comments:

  1. Love your challenge idea, Laura! I'll definitely see if I can contribute :-) I've been tempted to create my own challenge too, they're such great ways to discover other blogs and recipes. Plus, when I'm low on ideas for new recipes, it can be very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely if you could but no pressure of course =) I definitely agree with you about challenges being so inspiring and lots of luck to you if you create your own challenge. I'll look out for it just in case!

      Delete
  2. Great new challenge which might encourage me to make more biscuits. Thanks for including a link to WSC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries and thanks for taking a look =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!