Sunday, 1 September 2013

Chocolate Fudge Pecan Cookies

I'm super excited about this post because this is the first recipe I'm sharing with my very own brand spanking new baking challenge The Biscuit Barrel Challenge. You can read all about it here of you like and it would be wonderful if you entered something yourself. Even if you can't/don't want to share something this month then could always pop back here on the 30th to see the round up of all the entries. Ok so there may be just mine but you never know, someone else might come across my little blog and want to join in! I've been inspired by all the other wonderful baking/blogging challenges out there and I thought it would be the perfect way to make sure I write at least one blog post each month when I'm back at university. My blog was abandoned last year and I really don't want that to happen again. I've enjoyed reading other people's and writing my own posts so much this summer that I can't go back to nothing whether there are time constraints for me or not.
 
Onto the cookies, the star of the show. I've mentioned in many of my posts now my addiction to Pinterest. My pins are increasing to the point where when I finally sit down to organise them properly it is going to take me aaaaages. I quickly realised there was no point in me having a 'recipes I must try' board because everything would be going on there save maybe one or two pretty pictures of embroidery. This recipe however is adapted from one that really stood out for me. I would have liked to have made the Giant White Chocolate Pecan Cookies full size but I thought we had better not because there was no way I would get my parents to accept them as a substitute for cake at tea break/pudding. One day though I will make a truly giant cookie at my uni house so I can enjoy them to their full crispy edged, chewy middle, chocolately, chunky goodness. For now though these baby cousins of the aforementioned recipe were a resounding success. 

They are both chewy and crispy at the same time while containing the coveted large chunks of chocolate and nuts. The extra special bit in my opinion is the pools of melted fudge dispersed throughout the cookies. The original used toffee bits but I wanted something a bit softer for my mum's teeth so I thought fudge would be ideal. Silly me though didn't make the connection between a hot oven and fudge that would mean pools of liquid glory spilling out of the sides. A happy accident but it did mean the odd one looked like it had properly exploded where there had been a large fudge chunk too close to the edge. If you like the extra rugged look however, it's all good! The best way to remedy that without removing the fudge altogether would be to nudge the spills back towards the cookies as soon as you remove them from the oven (which is what I did) or sprinkle the fudge pieces on top away from the edges. That way you might get a layer of toffee when they melt and cool again. Now that's a thought! Whatever way, I thought these were glorious and gave me the idea of wrapping a thicker cookie dough around a large fudge piece so it stays inside while baking. Another experiment to add to the list!


print recipe

Chocolate Fudge Pecan Cookies
A crispy on the eges, chewy in the middle cookie packed with chocolate chunk, pecan pieces and melted fudge. Enjoy with mugs of tea, cold milk, ice cream and all manner of things.
Ingredients
  • 1/2 +1/3 cups plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 3 1/2 oz unsalted butter, softened
  • 5oz dark brown sugar
  • 1oz granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4oz milk chocolate
  • 2oz pecans, roughly broken
  • 2oz fudges, chopped
Instructions
1. Set oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Combine the flour and bicarb in a bowl and set aside.2. Cream the butter and sugars until very light and fluffy. Remove a bit of the egg white then gradually beat in the remainder.3. Gradually mix in the flour until just combined then stir in the chocolate, nuts and fudge.4. Line a baking tray with baking paper and put about 9 scoops of cookie dough on top remembering to leave room because they will spread. Pat them down a little into rough circles.Bake for 10-11 mins until slightly crispy on the outside but still very soft in the middle, rotating the tray half way through. (Prepare the next tray in the meantime.) Get the next tray in the oven leaving the baked cookies on the tray to cool for a few mins out of the oven then remove onto a rack to cool fully or serve warm if you can't wait that long.

1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!