Sunday, 4 August 2013

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cake

Todays cake wasn't supposed to be chocolatey but as it turns out, not having quite enough blueberries ripe enough to be picked worked out rather well. You see, Mum made her speciality chocolate cake this week because my brother came up from Wales and it is his favourite. Or one of his favourites I should say. He isn't really all that fussy. It didn't take much persuasion to coerce him into eating a slice of this just before his dinner. Anyway, Mum's wonder of baking wonders got finished off by said brother on Friday but neither Mum nor myself rushed to make something to replace it because we were out all day yesterday at my cousin's wedding in Blackpool. Today however was another matter. I had aimed to make blueberry and banana muffins with Dad's homegrown blueberries and the bananas I has peeled and frozen to prevent them going to waste before they went past the useful-for-baking stage and had to be chucked. But like I say, it would have been a small batch of muffins indeed if I had only used what was there so I opted for a different cake instead.

I first made a chocolate chip cake years ago in the days when I didn't bake often. I was aiming to work my way through my mum's recipe file of cards that she had collected yonks ago and I have so many memories of going through these files when I was little. There were two red ones and two white ones, the red ones beig predominantly cakes and biscuits and every time they are pulled out now when my brother Richard (not the one who snaffled cake precariusly close to dinner time, that's Christopher) always says how he remembers Mum sitting for hours sticking those cards together into fours to slip into the file pockets. I don't remember that an I'm 22 so it shows how old they must be. For some reason I have been thinking about that chocolate chip cake a lot recently and because it was so easy and I'm pretty tired today from the travelling yesterday I thought it would be a good one to have another go at for old times sake. 

It was only as I was pulling ingredients out of the cupboards that I decided to change the sugar for dark brown. I hoped it would give it extra flavour and I'm so glad I did because I was right and it went down very well. Very, very well. Christopher the cake pincher came in while it was in the oven and thought it smelled enticing so practically stuck his nose into the teeney weeney bits of cake mix left in the bowl to try and figure out what it was. He guessed it had treacle in and was a bit surprised what I told him what it actually was but the 'oh my God, this is good' that I got from him with the first bite put a big grin on my face. Don't you think it's lovely when you give something something to eat and the enjoyment is instant? It went down pretty well with Mum and myself too. I could've eaten a second (oh ok, and a third) slice but that would've been a bit naughty of me. So I guess I'll have to make do with looking forward to my lovely slice tomorrow. I think that the brown sugar gives it another depth but maybe that is just me looking for fanciful phrases to make such a simple cake sound even better. You should try it though and see what I mean. Do let me know what you think if you do! It was nice to make a large cake for a change because I normally favour cupcakes to avoid the moaning from Dad saying that I have cut his slice smaller and that he wants a 'man's' piece. It's a old argument let me assure you! It was good as well to use a bit of my silicone bakeware collected from so many issues of Baked and Delicious too and the cake just slid out. But enough about that, here's the recipe so you can see for yourself what pleasure a simple cake can bring!

Ingredients:
 6oz butter, softened
6oz soft brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
8oz self raising flour
4oz chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

Grease and line an 8" cake tin or if you are using a silicone pan, place it on a baking sheet. You don't need to greae silicone bakewars usually but because I like a bit of added safety I rub a little bit of flour round mine. You could say it's for luck.

Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan. Put the butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very much softened and creamy. Add the sugar and cream together until paler and fluffy.

Mix in the eggs and vanilla a little bit at a time and add a spoonful of the measured flour if it threatens to curdle. Sift the remaining flour into the bowl and gently fold in with a metal spoon or spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips. I used a mixture of dark chips and chopped Galaxy. I was after 1.5oz of Galaxy but sadly when I placed what I thought was enough on the scales this happened:

Sooo, the only thing for it was to break off another line of chocolate and seeing as I couldn't put the excess back into wrapper when it hit the 1.5oz mark, I had to eat it. Terrible. The sacrifices I make for my baking. 

Pour the mixture into the tin and level off then bake in the preheated oven until risen, golen and set. 

Mine took about 50 mins, rotating the cake after 30 mins and leaving it in the oven for about 15 mins with it turned off because it was only just done after 50 mins. Cool on a rack for a short while to let it firm up then turn out onto the rack to cool fully. Eat slightly warm if you can't wait that long. Our household couldn't.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of brown sugar and chocolate - it looks a cracking cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was a bit worried that the brown sugar would make the cake taste dark but thankfully it didn't at all =)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I can imagine it would be very hard to resist just cutting another slice, and another... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was rather hard to resist, especially when we had the first slices and the cake was still slightly warm =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!